Leigh, West (St. Peter)
LEIGH, WEST (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of Fremington, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Bideford; containing 526 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road to Barnstaple, comprises by computation 2300 acres. Many of the females are employed in glove-making, for the manufacturers of Torrington. Stone of excellent quality for building is quarried extensively, and this and other produce can be conveyed by the river Torridge, which flows in a direction parallel with the road, and is navigable for vessels of 300 tons' burthen. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 2. 1.; net income, £159; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter; impropriator, R. N. Incledon, Esq.: the glebe comprises 45 acres. The church is an ancient structure, containing some handsome marble monuments to the Cleveland and Willett families; many of the old oak seats, elaborately carved, are still preserved.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.