DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Laysters (St. Andrew)

LAYSTERS (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of Hereford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Tenbury; containing 226 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the east by a part of Worcestershire, and intersected by the road from Tenbury to Leominster; and comprises by measurement 1977 acres. Its soil is generally a moderately tenacious clay, resting on a bed of coarse limestone; the surface is finely undulated, and the surrounding scenery diversified. The grain produced is of excellent quality, and the breed of cattle in much repute. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £335; patron, the Rev. Thomas Elton Miller; impropriator and incumbent, the Rev. J. K. Miller. An ancient ecclesiastical establishment here was connected with the priory of Sheen, in Surrey; and there are still some vestiges of the buildings, on a farm called the Cinders, partially surrounded by a moat.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement