LAWRENCE, ST., a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 8¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Newport; containing 114 inhabitants. The parish consists of a narrow district, extending about a mile and a half along the seacoast, and forming part of the romantic tract called the Undercliff. It comprises by measurement 300 acres, of which about 20 are in plantations, chiefly of juniper trees, 50 in meadow, and the remainder arable land in good cultivation. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £106; patron, the Earl of Yarborough. The tithes are held by the earl and the rector, and that portion of them belonging to the latter has been commuted for £84; the glebe comprises 18 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in the early English style, and is only 25 feet in length, and 12 in width, within the walls. In a field near it are the remains of a chantry.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.