Langford (St. Giles)
LANGFORD (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Maldon, hundred of Thurstable, N. division of Essex, 1½ mile (N. by W.) from Maldon; containing 257 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south by the Chelmer and Blackwater navigation, is about six miles in circumference. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 4. 9½., and in the gift of the family of Wescomb: the tithes have been commuted for £270, and the glebe comprises 32 acres. The church is a small ancient edifice.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.