Landkey (Holy Trinity)
LANDKEY (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Barnstaple, hundred of South Molton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 2¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Barnstaple; containing 774 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Barnstaple to South Molton, comprises by computation 2400 acres: limestone of good quality is abundant, and there are two quarries of considerable extent. The living is a perpetual curacy, with that of Swimbridge annexed; net income, £179; patron, the Dean of Exeter. The church contains a handsome monument to one of the Acland family. At Herford, in the parish, was anciently a chapel. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.