Lamyatt (St. Mary and St. John)
LAMYATT (St. Mary and St. John), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Whitestone, E. division of Somerset, 2¼ miles (W. by N.) from Bruton; containing 255 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1000 acres: there are quarries of stone for building, and for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 4. 2.; patron, the Rev. J. G. Copleston: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 43 acres. The church is an ancient structure, in good repair.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.