Lamarsh (Holy Innocents)
LAMARSH (Holy Innocents), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex, 7¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Halstead; containing 404 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the east by the river Stour, is about twenty miles in circumference. The surface is very unequal, rising considerably in some parts, and in others being greatly depressed; the soil is various, but generally fertile, and a large portion is a rich sandy loam. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 0. 2½., and in the gift of John Sperling and William Downes, Esqrs.: the tithes have been commuted for £385, and the glebe comprises 94 acres. The church is a small low edifice of great antiquity, with a circular tower, the walls of which are of unusual thickness.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.