Lackington, White (St. Mary)
LACKINGTON, WHITE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chard, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W. division of Somerset, 1½ mile (E. N. E.) from Ilminster; containing 283 inhabitants. It comprises 1465a. 3r. 11p.; the soil is generally productive, and there are quarries of stone, which is raised for building and for burning into lime. The Chard canal passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 10.; patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £288, and the vicarial for £220; the impropriate glebe contains 38 acres, and the vicar's glebe one acre. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower, but has been much defaced by injudicious alterations and enlargements.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.