KNUTTON, a township, in the parish of Wolstanton, union of Wolstanton and Burslem, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 1 mile (N. E.) from the town of Newcastle; containing 1388 inhabitants. The township comprises 1713 acres, including Knutton Heath, lately an open common, but now inclosed, and on the outskirts of which the Newcastle races are held. Numerous cottages have been erected within the last few years, and there is a silk-mill adjacent to Knutton Heath. The Primitive Methodists have a meeting-house.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.