KNIGHTSBRIDGE, a chapelry, partly in the parish of St. George, Hanover-square, liberty of the city of Westminster, and partly in the parishes of Kensington and Chelsea, Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex. This place consists principally of a long street on the line of the great western road from the metropolis, and is partially paved, lighted with gas, and supplied with water from the Chelsea Water-works. There are many good houses, and some handsome mansions overlooking Hyde Park. Towards Pimlico, on the Marquess of Westminster's property, splendid additions have been made, containing some of the most fashionable residences in the western part of the metropolis; and great improvement has also been effected by the removal of a large portion of the wall which separates the park from the road, and the erection of iron palisades. On the north side, adjoining the park, are commodious barracks for cavalry; and at the entrance from Piccadilly, on the south side of the road, is St. George's Hospital. Here are an ale brewery on a very extensive scale, and two large floorcloth manufactories. The living is in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and now a chapel of ease, belonged originally to an ancient hospital, or lazarhouse; the present building was erected in 1789. A district church dedicated to St. Paul, the site of which was given by the late Marquess of Westminster, has been erected in Wilton-place, Belgrave-square, at an expense, including the endowment, of £15,000, raised by subscription, aided by a grant of £1000 from the Church Commissioners, and £500 from the Metropolis Building Fund; it was consecrated in May, 1843. The edifice is of brick and stone, in the later English style, with a tower carried to the height of 121 feet, in two stories, and terminating in a rich embattled parapet of open work, and eight crocketed pinnacles, four of which rise from the angles. It has 1600 sittings, whereof 600 are free; the interior is 106 feet in length, 59 in breadth, and 47 feet to the ceiling, where the timber-work is exposed to view, and the tie-beams are filled with tracery. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of London; income, £1000. Here is a place of worship for Baptists.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.