Kneesall (St. Bartholomew)
KNEESALL (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union of Southwell, partly in the South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, and partly in the N. division of that of Thurgarton, N. and S. divisions of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Ollerton; containing, with the townships of Kersall and Ompton, 596 inhabitants. In Kneesall and Ompton townships are 2878 acres, of which 92 are common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10, with the perpetual curacy of Boughton annexed, and in the patronage of the Chapter of the Collegiate Church of Southwell; net income, £100. The church is an ancient structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. There is a chapel of ease; also a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.