KIRKHEATON, a chapelry, locally in the parish of Kirkharle, union of Castle ward, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 11½ miles (N. E. by N.) from Hexham; containing 164 inhabitants. This chapelry, which is extra-parochial, comprises by measurement 2009 acres. Coal is found, and there is a mine at present in operation; freestone and limestone are also quarried, for building and for burning into lime. The river Blyth has its source on the north side of a hill called the Black Hill, which commands a very extensive view. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of C. B. Bewick, Esq.: the glebe comprises 12 acres. The chapel was rebuilt in 1775.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.