BAGULEY, a township, in the parish of Bowdon, union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 6¼ miles (W. by S.) from Stockport; containing 505 inhabitants. This was at an early period the property of the Baguleys, whose heiress brought it to the Leghs; the latter sold it, and in 1722 it belonged to Viscount Allen, of whom it was purchased by the Jacksons, of Rostherne. The township comprises 1769 acres, of which 114 are common or waste; the soil is clay, loam, and moss. The tithes have been commuted for £153 payable to the Bishop of Chester, £34 to the vicar of Bowden, and £27 to the rector of Northen.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.