KINGWATER, a township, in the parish of Lanercost-Abbey, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 9 miles (N. E.) from Brampton; containing 390 inhabitants. This place derives its name from a stream so called, which has its source in several rills issuing from the mountains to the north of Gilsland. The township comprises the hamlet of West-Hall, and is beautifully situated in a vale; the soil is light, but of excellent quality, and the district is noted for its pastures. The village consists of irregularlybuilt houses, scattered along the vale. At the extremity of the vale are the ruins of Triermaine Castle, the baronial residence of the Vaux family, now almost entirely removed; and near West-Hall was the ancient tower of Torcrossock.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.