DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Kington, West (St. Mary)

KINGTON, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts, 8½ miles (W. N. W.) from Chippenham; containing 349 inhabitants, and comprising 2447a. 1r. 15p. There are quarries of stone for common building purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 9. 9½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Salisbury: the tithes have been commuted for £553. 14., and the glebe comprises 73a. 3r. 37p. The church is a neat plain edifice. Near Ebbedown are vestiges of a small Roman camp. In the walk to the glebe-house is a small hollow oak, the favourite resort of Latimer, when that prelate held the incumbency.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement