KINGSWOOD, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Bitton, union of Keynsham, Upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Bristol; containing about 5000 inhabitants. Here are some extensive collieries, from which the city of Bristol and its vicinity are principally supplied with coal. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built partly at the expense of the Parliamentary Commissioners. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. A parsonage-house, and a national school, were erected close to the church in 1823. A school was founded in 1748, by the Rev. John Wesley, for clothing and educating 100 boys, the sons of Wesleyan ministers.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.