Kingswear (St. Thomas à Becket)
KINGSWEAR (St. Thomas Ã Becket), a parish, in the union of Totnes, hundred of Heytor, Paignton and S. divisions of Devon, 3Â¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Brixham; containing 270 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the eastern side of Dartmouth harbour, near the mouth of which are vestiges of a castle; and on the brow of a hill near the village, are some remains of military earthworks. From Dartmouth Castle, opposite to the ruins of a fort here, a chain was formerly stretched to prevent ships entering the harbour: this fort was taken from Sir Henry Carew by General Fairfax, in January, 1646. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, Â£99; patron, the Vicar of Brixham. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for Â£4 per annum, and the vicarial for Â£7. 15.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.