Kingston-Seymour (All Saints)
KINGSTON-SEYMOUR (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Chewton, E. division of Somerset, 8½ miles (N. by W.) from Axbridge; containing 375 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Yeo, and on the west by the Bristol Channel, whose waters make frequent irruptions, two of which, in 1606 and 1703, are commemorated by inscriptions in the church. The manorhouse, erected in the reign of Edward IV., though it has undergone many alterations, is still interesting on account of its antiquity. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 3. 11½.; net income, £305; patrons, the family of Pigott. The altar-piece of the church is adorned with a painting of the Transfiguration, by Smirke.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.