KINGSTON, a parish, in the union of Kingsbridge, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Modbury; containing 529 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Erme, and on the south by the English Channel; the coast is defended by lofty cliffs, of which those of Scobbiscombe are remarkable for their precipitous elevation. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ermington. The tithes have been commuted for £111 payable to the impropriator, and £113 and £109 payable respectively to the rector of Ringmore and the vicar of Ermington.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.