Kingsley (St. Werburgh)
KINGSLEY (St. Werburgh), a parish, in the union of Cheadle, partly in the N., but chiefly in the S., division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 2¾ miles (N. by E.) from Cheadle; containing, with the township of Whiston, 1554 inhabitants, of whom 873 are in the township of Kingsley. The parish comprises by measurement 4925 acres; the soil is generally a strong clay alternated with light sand, and near the village consists of rich meadow and pasture land. The surface is diversified with hills commanding much beautifully varied and richly-wooded scenery, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Churnet. The substratum is chiefly coal, of which several mines are in operation; and copper-ore is found, for the smelting of which there is a furnace. The Uttoxeter canal passes through the parish, in a direction parallel with the river. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 15., and in the gift of James Beech, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and the glebe comprises 106 acres. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1821. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school, now conducted on the national plan, was founded in 1703, by John Stubbs, who endowed it with houses and land producing £54 per annum.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.