Kingsbury-Episcopi (St. Martin)
KINGSBURY-EPISCOPI (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Langport, E. division of the hundred of Kingsbury, W. division of Somerset, 4¾ miles (S. by E.) from Langport; containing 1779 inhabitants. The parish anciently belonged to the bishops of Wells, whence the adjunct to its name. Within its limits are the tythings of Burrow, Lake, East, West, and Middle Lambrook, Southay, Stembridge, and Thorney; it is situated on the river Parret, and facilities of communication are afforded by several roads in the vicinity. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 18. 1½.; net income, £209; patron, the Chancellor of the Cathedral of Wells. The church is a stately structure, with an elegant tower ornamented with eleven statues of kings, and crowned by twenty open-worked pinnacles. At East Lambrook is a separate incumbency. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.