Kilmington (St. Mary)
KILMINGTON (St. Mary), a parish, forming a detached portion of the hundred of Norton-Ferris, in the union of Mere, E. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N. W.) from Mere; containing, with the tything of Norton-Ferris, 635 inhabitants, and comprising 2642a. 3r. 15p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 9. 4½., and in the gift of the Earl of Ilchester: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe comprises 55 acres. In the church lie the remains of Mr. Hartgill and his son, both murdered in the reign of Queen Mary, by Lord Stourton and others, who were convicted and executed. A gallery has been built, and 100 free sittings provided, the Incorporated Society having granted £40 in aid of the expense. About two miles to the south-west is a small oval intrenchment called Jack's Castle, supposed to have been the site of a Danish camp or fortress; and at the south-western extremity of the parish, near Stourhead, is a triangular brick tower, erected in 1772, by Henry Hoare, Esq., with an inscription commemorative of Alfred the Great and his victories over the Danes.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.