KILLERBY, a township, in the parish of Heighington (though entirely surrounded by the parishes of Gainford and Staindrop), union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Darlington; containing 105 inhabitants. It stands in a low situation, near the source of a small rivulet, and comprises about 390 acres of land: the village is a little to the north of the road from Darlington to Staindrop. Divine service is performed in a room on Sundays, by permission of the bishop. The tithes have been commuted for £20 to the vicar, and £114 to the Dean and Chapter of Durham.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.