Keynsham (St. John the Baptist)
KEYNSHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, the head of a union, and formerly a market-town, in the hundred of Keynsham, E. division of Somerset, 7¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Bath; containing, with the tything of Chewton-Keynsham, 2307 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3500 acres; the surface is undulated, and the scenery abounds with variety and beauty. The town is situated upon the Avon, which is navigable hence to Bath, and across which is a bridge leading into Gloucestershire. On the river are some mills belonging to a brass and copper company at Bristol; and several of the inhabitants are employed in the preparation of flax. The Great Western railway passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 19. 7.; patron, the Duke of Buckingham. The tithes belonging to his grace have been commuted for £135, the vicarial tithes for £170, and those belonging to the trustees of the Bristol charities for £116. 7.; the vicarial glebe comprises 5½ acres. The church is a spacious edifice in the later English style. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans; also a school endowed in 1705 with £20 per annum by Sir Thomas Bridges, who likewise built an almshouse for six widows. The poor-law union of Keynsham comprises 19 parishes or places, of which 14 are in the county of Somerset, and 5 in that of Gloucester; and contains a population of 21,710. An abbey of Black canons was established by William, Earl of Gloucester, about 1170, and dedicated to the Virgin Mary, St. Peter, and St. Paul; its revenue, at the Dissolution, was valued at £450. 3. 6. There is a mineral spring.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.