Kentisbere (St. Mary)
KENTISBERE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tiverton, hundred of Hayridge, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 3¾ miles (E. by N.) from Cullompton; containing 1184 inhabitants. It consists of 3600 acres, of which 338 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £27. 18. 11½., and in the gift of the family of Wyndham: the tithes have been commuted for £409. 10., and the glebe comprises 61 acres. The church has a fine wooden screen and rood-loft.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.