IVY-BRIDGE, a village, in the parishes of Cornwood, Ermington, Harford, and Ugborough, union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (E.) from Earl's-Plympton. This place is remarkable for its mild temperature, and the beauty of the surrounding scenery, which is richly diversified with wood and water; it is much visited by tourists, for whose accommodation there is a good hotel. Paper is manufactured, and here is a factory for serges. A chapel, now a district church, was built by subscription, in 1799; an aisle was subsequently added to it by Sir John Leman Rogers, Bart., who has still more recently made considerable improvements in the edifice, and in whom the patronage is vested. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The priory here, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was founded by Henry II., for four canons of the order of St. Augustine, and by the favour of succeeding sovereigns, rose to considerable opulence and distinction.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.