Itchin-Abbas (St. John)
ITCHIN-ABBAS (St. John), a parish, in the union of Winchester, hundred of Bountisborough, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3½ miles (W. N. W.) from Alresford; containing 251 inhabitants. This place derives its name from the river Itchin, by which it is intersected, and its adjunct from an ancient abbey, part of which has been converted into a private mansion. The parish comprises 2100a. 1r. 10p., chiefly good arable land; about 280 acres are wood, 240 pasture, and 60 water meadow. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 1. 5½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Robert Wright. There is also a sinecure prebend, valued at £4. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Crown. The tithes of the parish have been commuted for £448, and the glebe comprises 76 acres. The church is in the early English style: a gallery has been built, and forty free sittings provided. Dr. Burton, in 1774, bequeathed a rent-charge of £5. 10.; and Nathaniel Bailey, in 1823, gave £365 three per cents.; which endowments are applied to the support of a national school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.