INWARDLEIGH, a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Black Torrington, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Oakhampton; containing 715 inhabitants. This parish is situated near the rivers Okement and Torridge, on the road from Oakhampton to Exeter, and on that through Hatherleigh to the north. It comprises according to computation 7120 acres, principally arable land; 1300 are common or waste. Stone of good quality for building is quarried, and also stone for mending the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 11. 3.; net income, £277; patron, the Rev. R. Holland: the glebe comprises 200 acres of arable and pasture land, and 33 of coppice. The church is an ancient structure, with a square tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.