Ilton (St. Peter)
ILTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Chard, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W. division of Somerset, 2½ miles (N. N. W.) from Ilminster; containing, with the hamlets of Ashford, Hurcott, and Ilford, 557 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 19. 4½., and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Ilton in the Cathedral of Wells. The great tithes have been commuted for £275, and the vicarial for £120; the impropriate glebe comprises 26 acres, and the vicarial 5 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.