Ideford (St. Mary)
IDEFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Teignbridge, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 2½ miles (S. E.) from Chudleigh; containing 331 inhabitants. It comprises 1347 acres, of which 160 are common or waste; the surface is varied. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 13. 9., and in the gift of the Trustees of the Rev. George Heywood, late rector: the tithes have been commuted for £255, and the glebe comprises 59 acres. The church is a neat structure.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.