Hyde, East and West
HYDE, EAST and WEST, a hamlet, in the parish and union of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county of Bedford, 3¾ miles (S. E.) from Luton; containing 631 inhabitants. At East Hyde is a church dedicated to St. Thomas, in the Norman style, of which the first stone was laid by Mrs. Ames, of The Hyde, in 1840. It was built through the exertions of Mr. Ames and his family, and contains 500 sittings; the painted windows, font, communion-plate, and organ, were all presented by Mrs. Ames. The living is in the gift of the Bishop of London.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.