Babraham (St. Peter)
BABRAHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Chilford, county of Cambridge, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Linton; containing 217 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2500 acres; and is intersected by the Cambridge and Colchester road, and bounded on the south-west by the road from London to Newmarket. A splendid mansion in the Elizabethan style has lately been erected, which, with the park, gardens, and pleasure-grounds, contributes greatly to the ornamental scenery of the locality. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 5. 10.; patron and impropriator, R. J. Adeane, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £28, and the small for £125; the glebe consists of 4 acres. The church is an ancient building in the decorated style, situated in the pleasure-grounds of the patron, to the memory of several branches of whose family it contains some handsome monuments. There is a free school, supported from bequests by Levinus and James Bush, Esqrs., and Judith Bennett, who also left an endowment for an almshouse for six women, and £25 per annum for apprenticing poor boys; the income is now £134.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.