UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hutton-Mulgrave

HUTTON-MULGRAVE, a township, in the parish of Lythe, union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 4¾ miles (W.) from Whitby; containing 63 inhabitants. This manor, called in Domesday book Hotune, was held under the Earl of Morton at the time when that survey was taken; the Mauleys subsequently owned the estate, and from them it descended, through the Bigods, to the present lord. The township comprises about 880 acres: the hamlet lies in the southern extremity of the parish, about three miles from the parochial church, and a short distance south of Mulgrave Castle.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.