HUTTON-LOCRAS, a township, in the parish and union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. W. by S.) from Guisborough; containing 57 inhabitants. This place was granted by the Conqueror to Robert, Earl of Morton, and was afterwards held by the family of de Brus, from whom it passed to the Thwengs, by marriage. The Hotons subsequently possessed property here; at the Dissolution the estate was in the hands of the priory of Guisborough, and came to the crown, since which date it has passed through several families. The township forms part of the district called Cleveland, and comprises 1510 acres: the hamlet is east of the road from Guisborough to Stokesley. Here was an hospital for lepers, dedicated to St. Leonard.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.