HUTTON-HENRY, a township, in the parish of Monk-Hesleton, union of Easington, S. division of Easington ward, N. division of the county of Durham, 1½ mile (S.) from Castle-Eden, and 12 (N. by W.) from Stockton-on-Tees; containing 287 inhabitants. It comprises about 1900 acres of arable and pasture, with about 100 acres of wood; the soil, in some parts a strong clay loam, is generally poor moory land, but capable of much improvement. The scenery embraces fine sea-views, and the air is very salubrious. Limestone is quarried; and at Hart Bushes, Messrs. Metcalfe, Wilson, Seame, and Co., opened a deep shaft for a coalmine in 1843: the produce is shipped at Hartlepool. The village stands on rising ground in the centre of the township, and the Stockton and Sunderland road passes on the east. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £232. 18. 1., of which £162. 18. are payable to the vicar of the parish, and £70 to the vicar of Hart. There is a place of worship for Roman Catholics, built in 1824, by the Rev. Thomas Augustin Slater.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.