Hutton (St. Mary)
HUTTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from Axbridge; containing 462 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1876 acres, of which 351 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14, and in the gift of G. Gibbs, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £315, and the glebe comprises 65 acres. The church has a fine groined ceiling, and the pulpit is of stone, richly ornamented with sculpture. Here are curious subterraneous caverns, communicating with the shafts of old mines, in which have been discovered considerable quantities of the bones of animals and birds.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.