Humberstone (St. Mary)
HUMBERSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Leicester; containing 462 inhabitants. The name has been variously spelt Humerstane and Hubstayn. The manor was granted by the Conqueror to Hugh de Grentemaisnel, and was held as part of the honour of Leicester, in 1474, by Sir William Haselrigge: part was also held by Leicester and Croxton Abbeys. In 1750 the manor was purchased by the Pochin family. The parish is situated near the road from Leicester to Uppingham, and comprises by admeasurement 1500 acres, nearly equally divided between arable and pasture land. The village is pleasantly seated on a declivity north of a small rivulet. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £200; patron, Halford Adcock, Esq.; impropriators, the family of Hartopp. The tithes were commuted for land and annual money payments, on the inclosure of the parish, in the 28th of George III., when a small allotment was also made for the benefit of the poor. The church is a neat structure, with a lofty tower crowned by a handsome spire, and contains portions in the early and later English styles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.