Houghton-Regis (All Saints)
HOUGHTON-REGIS (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Luton, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 1¾ mile (N.) from Dunstable; containing 1661 inhabitants. This place, as its name imports, was formerly held in royal demesne. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 3. 4.; net income, £212; patron, the Duke of Bedford; impropriator, H. Brandreth, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1796. The church contains an ancient monument with the figure of a man in armour, beneath a highly decorated arch, in the early English style. A school was endowed in 1654, by Thomas Whitehead, with an estate and £250.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.