UK Genealogy Archives logo

Houghton

HOUGHTON, a township, in the parish of Stanwix, union of Carlisle, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Carlisle; containing 372 inhabitants. The patronage of St. John's new church, here, built and endowed by subscription, and to which a district is assigned, has been vested in trustees by Her Majesty's Commissioners.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.