HORNINGLOW, a township, in the parish and union of Burton-upon-Trent, N. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 1¾ mile (N. W. by N.) from Burton; containing 852 inhabitants. This is a pleasant village, situated upon an abrupt eminence overlooking the vale of the Trent. The township includes the hamlets of Outwood and Whetmore: the hilly parts abound with gravel, and contain much rich marl. A large portion of the township was granted, at the dissolution of the monasteries, to the Paget family, of which the Marquess of Anglesey is now the head. The Grand Trunk canal, on which are several wharfs and warehouses, passes through the township; and here is the union workhouse.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.