DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hooke (St. Giles)

HOOKE (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Beaminster, hundred of Eggerton, Bridport division of Dorset, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Beaminster; containing 268 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1237 acres, of which 207 are wood, consisting chiefly of good oak; the land is high and open, and the soil various, in some parts sandy and in others a chalk, abounding in springs. There is a small establishment for spinning flax. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 10., and in the patronage of the Duke of Cleveland and the Countess Dowager of Sandwich: the tithes have been commuted for £41, and the glebe contains 42 acres. The church, which is ancient, has been lately repaired and enlarged.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement