Honington (All Saints)
HONINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Brails division of the hundred of Kineton, S. division of the county of Warwick, 1½ mile (N. by E.) from Shipston; containing 335 inhabitants. This place in Domesday book is written Huningeham, a name supposed to have been derived from Huninge, a Saxon possessor, and ham, a "dwellingplace or habitation." The manor was held under the families of Cotes and Cokesey during several reigns, and was afterwards drawn within the domain of the house of Leigh; being purchased of Mr. Henry Vane in 1695, by Thomas, Lord Leigh, of Stoneleigh. The parish is situated on the right bank of the river Stour, which separates it from a detached portion of the county of Worcester; it comprises 2441 acres of good land, well wooded, and in equal portions of arable and pasture. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 8.; patron and impropriator, the Rev. H. Townsend. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £47. 10., and the glebe consists of 52 acres. The church has an ancient tower covered with ivy; the body of the edifice is modern. There is a Church Sunday school.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.