Honeychurch (St. James)
HONEYCHURCH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Black Torrington, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. N. E.) from Oakhampton; containing 69 inhabitants. The parish comprises 500 acres, of which two-fifths are common or waste land. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 8., and in the gift of J. Alliston Alliston, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £48, and the glebe comprises 52 acres. The church is a very neat edifice, and contains some specimens of stained glass.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.