DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Holmer (St. Bartholomew)

HOLMER (St. Bartholomew), a parish in the hundred of Grimsworth, union and county of Hereford, 2 miles (N.) from Hereford; containing 513 inhabitants, of whom 162 are in the township of Holmer with Shelwick. Holmer and Shelwick comprises 2384 acres, of which 86 are common or waste land; the parish extends to the liberties of Hereford, and is intersected by the river Lug and the road from Hereford to Leominster. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of Huntington annexed, valued in the king's books at £6. 10. 8.; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £256, and the vicarial for £220; a rent charge of £20 is paid to an impropriator, and some still smaller rent-charges to various others.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement