HOLME, a township, in the parish of Burton-in-Kendal, union of Kendal, Lonsdale ward, county of Westmorland, 1¾ mile (N. by W.) from Burton; containing 952 inhabitants. The manor anciently belonged to two lords, Preston and Tinsdal, from whom it passed to the family of Charteris. The township comprises 1617a. 2r. 38p., of which the surface is undulated, the scenery beautiful, and the soil various. It lies on the road from Burton to Kendal; the Lancaster and Kendal canal passes through, and there is a station on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway. Here are excellent limestone-quarries. Messrs. Waithman and Company have extensive flax-spinning, weaving, and bleaching mills, established in 1790, and since considerably enlarged; the works are propelled by steam and water power equal to 140 horses, and employ 650 persons. A district church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was built in 1839; it is in the early English style, with a tower, and cost £750. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Burton; net income, £120, with a house. A national school, built in 1837, is supported by subscription. Military weapons, relics of the encampment of the Scotch rebels who rested here in 1745, on their march to Preston, have been discovered.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.