Avening (St. Mary)
AVENING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Stroud, hundred of Longtree, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N.) from Tetbury; containing 2227 inhabitants. It is a polling-place for the eastern division of the county. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Heirs of the late Dr. Brooke: the tithes have been commuted for £760, and the glebe comprises 104 acres. The church is supposed to have been built by the abbess of Caen, in Normandy, to whom the manor belonged till the suppression of alien priories in the reign of Henry V. At Nailsworth is an incumbency in the gift of Trustees. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists; also an endowed school in which six boys are clothed and educated.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.