HOLFORD, a parish, in the union of Williton, and forming one of the five unconnected portions of the hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 10½ miles (W. N. W.) from Bridgwater; containing 185 inhabitants. The parish comprises 709 acres, whereof 84 are common or waste land; it is situated on the road from Bridgwater to Minehead, and includes a portion of the Quantock hills. The substratum abounds with stone, which is extensively quarried for building. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 5½., and in the gift of Eton College: the tithes have been commuted for £148, and the glebe comprises 70 acres. The church is ancient.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.