Holcombe-Burnell (St. John the Baptist)
HOLCOMBE-BURNELL (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, hundred of Wonford, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 4½ miles (W. by S.) from Exeter; containing 306 inhabitants. It comprises 1433 acres, of which 159 are common or waste land. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 2.; net income, £195; patron, the Prebendary of Holcombe-Burnell in the Cathedral of Salisbury. The church has an ornamented doorway in the Norman style. Near the old manorial mansion, built in the reign of Henry VIII., and since converted into a farmhouse, was anciently a chapel.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.