Holcombe (St. Andrew)
HOLCOMBE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Kilmersdon, E. division of Somerset, 6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Shepton-Mallet; containing 468 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road to Bath, viâ Charlton, and by measurement comprises 792 acres. Ironstone and coal are abundant, though neither is at present worked; and stone of good quality for building, and for the roads, is quarried. An extensive ale brewery here is in great repute. A canal from the southern part of the parish to Frome was commenced some years since, but it is not completed. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 7. 8½., and in the gift of John Twyford Jolliffe, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £60, and the glebe comprises 12 acres. The church is a small ancient structure, with a fine Norman south porch. A handsome parsonage-house was erected in 1834, by the incumbent, aided by a grant from Queen Anne's Bounty. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.