Hinton-Martell (St. John)
HINTON-MARTELL (St. John), a parish, in the union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Badbury, Wimborne division of Dorset, 4¼ miles (N. by E.) from Wimborne; containing 290 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1534 acres, of which the chief part is arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow, with a portion of woodland, and 77 acres of common or waste. The surface is hilly, and richly embellished with wood, principally oak and ash; the soil is a strong clay alternated with chalk, and there are numerous pits from which great quantities of chalk are dug for various purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 8. 6½., and in the gift of the Earl of Shaftesbury: the tithes have been commuted for £360, and the glebe comprises 25 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.